Adding electrical for the second story, and changing some things on the first floor.

Small Panel Removed
Small Panel Removed

The previous homeowners added a small panel to supply the finished basement. I moved the circuits to the main panel so the small panel could be removed. (8/6/04)

New Panel
New Panel

I installed the new panel with a conduit leading to the primary panel. The new 200-amp panel will become the primary panel with a 60-amp line feed so the existing wiring won't need to be changed. (8/21/04)

Wiring In the Way
Wiring In the Way

The original plan was to add a second pole a couple feet from an existing pole to support the weight of the second floor, which isn't a great atheistic for the basement. At my behest the builder spoke to an engineer and got approval to add a steel beam between the two existing I-beams to support the weight of the pole by the stairs that supports the second floor. To make room for that steel beam I had to move these electrical wires.(8/13/04)

Re-routed Wires
Re-routed Wires

I had to remove the wires at the junction boxes and run new wires wrapped down around the original steel beam supporting the first floor. (8/16/04)

Heating Duct
Heating Duct

The beam needs to be in the cavity occupied by this heating duct. In anticipation of having to relocate the duct, I cleared several joists of wiring. (8/16/04).

New Beam In Place
New Beam In Place

This photo isn't really fit the Electrical category, but it does complete the story of the last few pictures. The beam was able to fit in the cavity next to the heating duct. The duct was shifted slightly to make room for the beam. (8/21/04)

Wires from Basement
Wires from Basement

I brought up the wires from the basement through the wall between Stephen's and the girls' closets. There is a lot of debris from my roof removal work. It didn't seem significant enough to warrant the time and effort to clean it up since it will be sealed up by the floor about it. Untidy, but not destructive or dangerous in any way. (9/4/04)

Wires Up from Basement
Wires Up from Basement

This is the view of the wires going up the the second floor as seen in the basement. It was a bit tough to get these wires through since the holes ended up above the heating ducts.. (9/24/04)

Christmas Switch
Christmas Switch

I added outlets under the soffits of both the first and second story, as well as an outlet outside by where new bushes will be planted. At Christmas time the outdoor lights can be turned on and off with a switch. There are no other existing outdoor outlets, so the outlet by the bushes can also be used for trimming the bushes and other outdoor work. I later added a timer so the light would come on and turn off automatically. (9/22/04)

Rework Box
Rework Box

I added some electrical boxes in existing areas of the first floor, such as this switch box for the stairs. In this case, I had to move the box over since the original location was blocked by a stud. (9/22/04)

Adding Fans to Bathrooms
Adding Fans to Bathrooms

The two first floor bathrooms received new vent fans. I couldn't add the wires until I replaced the existing electrical boxes, so I tucked the wires behind the existing box (in this case, the hallway) temporarily. The white plastic above the outlet is the back of the medicine cabinet in the bathroom. (9/22/04)

Wires Dropped to Panel
Wires Dropped to Panel

I pulled the wires that power each circuit back to the panel and are ready to be wired into the circuit breakers. (9/24/04)

Switch Through 2x4s
Switch Through 2x4s

The segment of wall between the closet in the library and the doorway into the master bedroom is a stack of 6 2x4s. I had to cut a hole out both for the switch and the outlet residing on that wall. The trusses above carry the full weight of the roof so there is no risk to support. All these 2x4s are there to support drywall installation. (9/26/04)

Typical Run
Typical Run

Most of the wiring work was simply drilling holes 20" off the floor and running wires between boxes. (9/26/04)

Typical Outlet
Typical Outlet

A typical outlet box has a wire coming in to supply the outlet, and another one heading out to the next outlet. (9/26/04)

Recess Light and Vent
Recess Light and Vent

Besides putting in the switches and outlets, the rough electrical also entails wiring the recess lights (8 of them) and bathroom exhaust fans (4 of them), as well as the furnace and whirlpool tub. (9/26/04)

Intercom
Intercom

The studio will have an intercom for the front door so Johanne can talk to any students arriving for lessons. I temporarily running the comm to my desk in the basement. The plan was to move the comm to the front door when we installed the new door. Ultimately the comm stayed by my desk. It receives occasional use but not too much.. (1/12/05)

Bathroom Fan
Bathroom Fan

The bathroom fan is mounted and waiting for the grill to be installed after painting. (1/12/05)

Temporary Lighting
Temporary Lighting

All the electrical fixtures that I need to install after the painting has been completed were fitted with cheap temporary light fixtures so we can see what we are doing. I replaced all the fixtures except those in the closets. Here I left the light hanging so I could paint around the electrical box. (1/12/05)

Attic Light
Attic Light

Code requires a light in the space between the ceiling and the roof (in this case, not really an attic). I installed this ceramic fixture which also has a grounded outlet on board in case it's needed. It has a pull chain that dangles right above the access hole. It is wired into the walk in closet light, so the closet light has to be on for this light to work. That's fine since anyone going up there would have the closet light on anyway and was endorsed by the electrical inspector. (1/15/05)

 
Powered by Phoca Gallery